Monday, April 12, 2010

Ruffles Inspired By The Gap

When I was in Portland last week I of course had to go shopping.  Even though I wasn't buying anything, the thought of going to a descent mall is so exciting to me.  My hometown mall even has a Forever 21 that is JUST accessories!   All you big city folks can just have a small laugh at my expense on that one.  We even went to Anthropologie which I could spend a great deal of time in looking at every. single. thing.  But where did something catch my fancy?  The Gap.  Now don't get me wrong I love the Gap, but we do have one here in Tri Cities.  The reason this shirt caught my eye though was that I already had everything at home to make it!
All you need is about a yard of ruffle eyelet trim {or more if you want more ruffles like the original} , a shirt and your basic sewing supplies like pins and a sewing machine. 
Starting at the shoulder seam start pinning your trim right at the edge of the neckline on your shirt.  Pin all the way around to the other shoulder seam.  Oh look I even used a Gap shirt to make it more authentic;)
Sew right over the stitching lines on your trim, making sure that you are catching the shirt underneath.
I started my second row about 1 1/2 inches down from the shoulder seam and curved the end in under my top ruffle.  Then pin all the way around about 3/8 inch away from your first row of ruffles, stopping 1 1/2 inches from the shoulder seam again.  Sew that row of ruffle trim and repeat for a third row {or 4 or 5 whatever you want, I just went for 3}.
Here's the finished shirt.   The best part is by using trim the ruffle-ing is already done for you!  Making this the easiest thing I have done in a long time.

WOOT WOOT!  An updated Gap shirt for free~I already had everything I needed, and now I'm a little bit more stylin.





DIY Day @ ASPTL

Photobucket

Photobucket

9 comments:

  1. Way cute, I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sweet, and your pic is darling :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute, cute, cute. Great tutorial. And cute pic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super Stylin' T-shirt. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  5. turned out awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adorable! I have like 30 yards of this same lace that was a hand-me-down. I think I might just try this!

    ReplyDelete

I la la love hearing from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails