Monday, April 12, 2010

Ruffled Purse Tutorial


Next up on my  ruffle-ing my stuff list is a purse.  I'd been going back and forth on wanting to make a new purse and getting a leather lookin' one from Target or something.  I've seen a couple of purse updates and thought that was a good idea, but couldn't decide. 
Finding this purse at Target last Friday for $6 made my decision easy!  I wasn't in love with that strip of stitches down the middle, but I heart the color completely.  And for 6 bucks you can't go wrong.  I even had the perfect fabric at home waiting to be used.
First up I cut three strips of fabric.  The black and white polka dot is 4x22.  The paisley is 6x22 and the diamond is 11x22.  The paisley and teal fabrics are fat quarters from Basic Grey and the polka dot is a scap I had.  I then folded each strip in half long ways, right sides together and stitched them together.  
Turn each tube right side out and press the seam in the middle of the back.  This gives you nice crisp non stitched edges on your ruffle.
 For my widest ruffle I sewed two gathering stitches down the middle about an inch apart.
I wanted each ruffle to be different so the paisley I sewed gathering stitches down the sides with a 3/8 inch seam.  The polka dot I gathered strait down the middle.
I started with the wide ruffle, pulled my bobbin threads and ruffled it up to the length I needed it for the purse.  Then matched up the other two.  Aren't the pretty! 
Ruffles can get kind of squirelly so instead of sewing it all together at once I did it in layers.  First the paisley,
And then the polka dots.  Just sew right over the gathering stitch you sewed earlier.  I swear, black and white polka dots make everything so cute.  
Then I opted for the easy way out and just hot glued it straight to my bag!   It stuck really well to the stitches.  I did add a few hand stitches here and there just to be sure, but I'm not too worried.
All ruffled up and ready to go!  The perfect solution to my constant dilemma ~  Should I just buy it? Or ~ I could just make one at home.  I love it!
Sumo Sweet Stuff
Photobucket

10 comments:

  1. This is absolutely darling, Jenn!! I love ruffles!

    Alison
    http://oopsey-daisy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that looks great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenn, I love your blog! I'm so glad that you left a comment at The Sisters Cafe, because it led me to your cute blog! :) I'm planning on making some ruffled crafts this week, and I loved your tutorial! You have some great tips that I would not have thought to do.
    So glad you have enjoyed our recipes! Now I can't wait to look at more of your darling projects... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this! And I'm a BIG fan of repurposed bags. Thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ruffles are so big right now. It really updates your purse! Feel free to link up to my party with a button so everyone can join in :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. very cute!

    lindsey @ the pleated poppy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooooh, love this! Love ruffles in general, and they're fabulous on the purse.
    We have a friday fun finds party that's still going- we'd love it if you'd link up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. SUCH a great idea!! I love ruffles!! Thanks for the fabulous tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  9. it is gorgeous and so fantastic:)
    love the colors and the patterns together!
    :)gina

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay! I can't tell you how happy I am to have found this. I bought a bag with visions of sewing ruffles down the middle just like this! Two...maybe three...months later it's still sitting here. Maybe I'll finally get around to doing it now, having found your post! Thanks for the inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete

I la la love hearing from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails